By Aviezer Tucker
The fifty entries during this Companion conceal the most concerns within the philosophies of historiography and background, together with normal heritage and the practices of historians.
• Written by way of a world and multi-disciplinary workforce of experts
• A state-of-the-art up-to-date photograph of present learn within the field
• a part of the popular Blackwell Companions sequence
Read or Download A Companion to the Philosophy of History and Historiography PDF
Similar historiography books
Tropical Africa used to be one of many final areas of the realm to adventure formal ecu colonialism, a strategy that coincided with the arrival of a number new clinical specialties and study tools. Africa as a dwelling Laboratory is a far-reaching examine of the thorny courting among imperialism and the function of medical expertise—environmental, clinical, racial, and anthropological—in the colonization of British Africa.
During this ground-breaking paintings, Norman Cantor explains how our present inspiration of the center Ages-with its brilliant photographs of wars, tournaments, plagues, saints and kings, knights and ladies-was born within the 20th century. The medieval global was once now not easily excavated via systematic examine. It needed to be conceptually created: It needed to be invented, and this is often the tale of that invention.
En las últimas décadas los angeles historia cultural ha ocupado un lugar preferente en l. a. escena historiográfica. El presente volumen propone una radiografía de los angeles cultura y del estado cultural de nuestras respectivas historias. Editada por Philippe Poirrier y epilogada por Roger Chartier, esta obra reúne las colaboraciones de una veintena de especialistas en historia cultural.
Ever given that Herodotus declared in Histories that to maintain the thoughts of the good achievements of the Greeks and different countries he could anticipate their very own tales, historians have debated even if and the way they need to care for fable. so much have sided with Thucydides, who denounced delusion as "unscientific" and banished it from historiography.
- How to stop living and start worrying : conversations with Carl Cederström
- Realities of Representation: State Building in Early Modern Europe and European America
- The Art and Science of Victorian History
- The SAGE Handbook of Historical Theory
- The Dutch Archives and American Historical Research
Extra resources for A Companion to the Philosophy of History and Historiography
Empirical analyses of US strikes and unionization processes between 1904 and 1945 are presented to illustrate the method. Isaac, Larry W. and Larry J. S. Labor History", American Sociological Review, 54 (1989), pp. 873-890. This paper lays the foundation for taking time and temporally-moving time-series approaches seriously in historical sociology. The authors illustrate their argument by analyzing examples of historical contingency in the US strike-unionization relation from the 1880s to 1980 using temporally-moving covariance analysis.
3. This is true generally of methods that rely on comparative analyses such as Qualitative Comparative Analysis (see Ragin elsewhere in this volume) and Millsean methods of comparison. 4. Holly J. McCammon, 'The Politics of Protection: State Minimum Wage and Maximum Hours Laws for Women in the United States, 1870-1930", The Sociological Quarterly, 36 (1995), pp. 217249; idem, 'Protection for Whom? Maximum Hours Laws and Women's Employment in the United States, 1880-1910", Work and Occupations, 23 (1996), pp.
See, for example: US Bureau of the Census, Historical Statistics of the United States: Colonial Times to 19/0 (Washington, DC, 1975); US Bureau of the Census, Statistical Abstract of the United States (Washington, DC, various years); President of the United States, Economic Report of the President (Washington, DC, various years); US Department of Labor, Handbook of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC, various years). Holly J. McCammon Dependent variable Explanatory variables State Year Alabama 1870 1871 1872 Arizona of protective legislation Consumers' league Competitive election Full suffrage 1930 1870 1871 1872 1930 Wyoming 1870 1871 1872 1930 Figure i.